Human beings are overconfident creatures. We think we are smarter, better-looking and better-equipped to handle anything life throws at us than we actually are. Even though I know this – I wrote a chapter about the dangers of overconfidence (complacency, not planning for bad outcomes) – I’m still guilty.
My overconfidence confession list:
1) My kid is a charming and adorable genius. Of course she will get into our favorite preschool (even if there are 200 families competing for the one morning slot not taken by a sibling or legacy child).
2) I will resume a vigorous exercise schedule before returning to work after my maternity leave.
3) We will travel to exciting, far-off places even though we have two kids under 3.
4) I will cook dinner at least four nights a week.
5) My second kid will sleep through the night by 4 months.